Thursday, April 30, 2015

Help the Lord


Matthew 25:35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

Officer Hector Marquez, Jr. from New Mexico was responding to a family fight.
Inside the home was a 63 year old woman who was raising her six grandchildren.
After getting everyone to calm down he learned that the grandmother was the sole provider and was on a fixed income and food stamps.
And the problem was, everyone was hungry.
"I don't know how we got onto the topic of the welfare of the kids and if she needed anything. She had told me that they had last eaten in the morning, that grandma made pancakes, but she couldn't get her food stamps until the 19th, which was eight days away."
So Officer Marquez decided to take action.
He went to the grocery store and used his own money to buy the family groceries.
He bought milk, bread, cheese, and lunch meat.
The officer tried to do it quietly.
He didn't make a big deal out of it.
But another officer told their boss, and the department then publicly honored him.
I remember once being in a grocery store and seeing an elderly woman buying one can of beans.
I debated back and forth whether to offer to buy her food and in the end in I convinced myself not to do it. I thought maybe that was all she needed and I didn't want to embarrass her.
Looking back I was wrong. I wish I’d followed my heart and done what Officer Marquez did instead of over thinking it.

How often does this happen to us? In my case too often. There is this man who use to be homeless, but is still in need and every time I go near his house, which less than a block from 4 or 5 restaurants, and 2 or 3 grocery stores, I feel the need to by him something to eat, and I head towards the restaurants or the store, but at the last minute i don't either because I get shy, or afraid of what his reaction is going to be. God didn't call us to be afraid or shy, he called us to feed the the hungry, to help those who are in need, I encourage you to help some one today, to help the Lord today.

No comments:

Post a Comment